Virginia psychiatrist James H. Egan reprimanded by state medical board
June 10, 2011
On or about April 21, 2011, the Virginia Board of Medicine reprimanded psychiatrist James Harold Egan.
According to the Board’s Consent Order, their action is based on Egan having been placed on probation in July 2010 by the Maryland Board of Physicians for the following reason:
- Egan failed to appropriately assess of formulated an adequate plan to address a report of a patient, an 11-year-old boy, of being sexually abused and the psychological effect/trauma from the incident;
- failed to assess or document an assessment of the patient’s suicide risk;
- failed to maintain professional decorum during an office visit/evaluation in that he made inappropriate statements to the patient after he described being sexually abused;
- inappropriately discouraged the patient from pursuing a police investigation and
- failed to keep adequate medical records.
Source: Consent Order In Re: James Harold Egan, M.D., License No. 0101-042094, Before the Virginia Board of Medicine.
Post your own comment here: